Fall has arrived! I am so happy. This is my favorite time of year.
Apple Cider Caramels
From Mostly Sourdough at https://mostlysourdough.com/2018/09/apple-cider-caramels/https://mostlysourdough.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/IMG_6748-2.jpg
Chewy caramels flavored with reduced apple cider & Fall spices!
- 1 quart apple cider (32 ounces)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- In a medium saucepan bring the apple cider to a boil, and reduce until it boils down to about 1/2 cup of liquid. Be sure to stir/scrape the pot every once in a while to prevent scorching.
- While the cider is reducing, prepare an 8x8 inch pan with two strips of crossed parchment to create a removable sling. Scale out the rest of the ingredients to have at the ready.
- Once reduced, remove the pan from the heat and add the sugars, butter and cream. Continue to cook on medium-high heat until it reaches between 252-254 degrees on a candy thermometer. Add in the salt, spices and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Immediately pour into your pan, and allow to cool for at least two hours. I put mine in the fridge overnight before cutting into squares or rectangles, and wrapping in pieces of parchment.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen